Tuesday, January 11, 2011

7 Day Challenge

Are the few holiday pounds lingering around for anyone else?  My sweet tooth seems out of control, hence the reason I attempted sugar cookies without butter last night.  William and I are usually careful about what we eat during the week and allow for a few more treats during the weekend.  But not lately.  The Reeses trees are finally gone, the other candy has been put in the freezer, and even though I've already seen Valentine candy in the stores, I will not be buying any.

To keep myself accountable and to get back in the habit of blogging everyday, I am going to post my meals and snacks for one week.  Kill two birds with one stone, right?  I'm not a certified nutritionist, just a girl, interested in nutrition, and trying to find the balance of a healthy lifestyle.  I enjoy reading food blogs (KERF, Carrots 'N' Cake, and Self Magazine's Eat Like Me blog) who all post each and every bite they take.  It provides great, healthy ideas for newbies in the kitchen.  If this is incredibly boring for you, and you absolutely could care less what I eat, just check back in a week.  But, this blog is about my experiences with food: trying new recipes, laughing when they don't work out, enjoying the challenges, and finding a healthy balance. 

Breakfast was an egg and low-fat cheese sandwich on a whole grain english muffin and coffee.  Yes, I am still using my Christmas coffee mug.  I'm holding on to a sliver of the holiday season for as long as possible.  Who knows, you may see this mug all year!


Lunch was a turkey, laughing cow, and spinach sandwich on flat bread.  The laughing cow wedge is a great substitute for mayonnaise.  I also had a cup of tomato soup and half of an orange.  William had the other half.


I snacked on a handful of reduced fat white cheddar cheeze-its while watching another re-run of "Sex and the City."  Thankful for snow days! :)

Dinner was a new recipe.  My mom used to make enchiladas for us when we were young.  I remember what they tasted like but don't know her exact recipe.  Because of the snow and not being able to get to the grocery store, I knew I shouldn't look up a recipe; I was guaranteed to not have all of the ingredients needed, and then I would be discouraged.  So, I made up my own recipe from my memories of my mom's enchiladas.

These are the ingredients I used.


I cooked the chicken in olive oil spray.

I seasoned the chicken with sea salt, basil, garlic, and red pepper flakes.  I didn't include these ingredients in the first picture.

I mixed together one can of rotel, 1 cup of light sour cream, the chopped chicken, and a small sprinkling of cheddar cheese.

This mixture was spread into the wheat tortillas, rolled up, and placed in a greased baking dish.



I topped the tortillas with 1 cup of salsa and about 2 tablespoons of light sour cream mixed together.  I sprinkled cheddar cheese on top and baked them for 20 minutes on 325 degrees.


They were delicious and very easy to make!  I enjoyed one and a half of these babies topped with lettuce.


There may be a pudding cup in my future.  :)






No comments:

Post a Comment