Sunday, March 10, 2013

Tomato Crostinis

Appetizers are my favorite.  A good app can set the stage for a great evening.  Some of my best conversations with William are over wine and appetizers.  But, I'm so over cheese and crackers.  I'm bored with Fresh Market's spicy crab dip.  William doesn't care too much for spinach dip.  And jalapeno pepper poppers, although delicious, aren't kid friendly.

My friend, Jenni, brought these over to share with us a few weeks ago, and I knew, immediately, that I would be recreating these crostinis as soon as possible.  Saturday night seemed like the perfect opportunity.  We haven't seen one of favorite couple friends in a long time and decided to do something about that.  We missed Keith's birthday dinner, and their daughter, Owen, is turning 5 next week.  So, we decided to celebrate.

The Barefoot Contessa's Tomato Crostinis were a huge hit.  We ate every single one, and Owen loved them.

Here's what I used.  I prepared everything early in the afternoon to allow the flavors to have time to come together and just assembled it when our guests arrived.


I mixed 2 Tablespoons red wine vinegar, 2 Tablespoons green onions (the recipe called for shallots, but honestly, I don't exactly know what shallots are and when I tried to call Jenni from Kroger, she didn't answer; I decided green onions would do the trick), and 2 teaspoons minced garlic.


Quartered grape tomatoes.


I mixed the grape tomatoes with the vinegar mix, added a 1/3 cup of olive oil, sea salt, pepper, and basil and let them soak.


In a food processor, I blended 6 oz of feta cheese with 2 oz of light cream cheese, 1/3 cup of olive oil, a freshly squeezed lemon, sea salt, and pepper.


All those toys, and this is what they choose to play with. :)


I sliced up a french bread baguette toasted the pieces on 425 degrees for 6 minutes, spread the whipped feta mixture, and topped with the tomatoes.  They were heavenly.  The flavors were perfect together.  I could have stopped here and called it a night.


More playing before bedtime.


A cozy outdoor fire was the perfect accompaniment to a beautiful evening, incredibly delicious appetizers, and great friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment