Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Fruit Feast Day One

“When patterns are broken, new worlds emerge.” ~Baron Baptiste

I’ve been thinking a lot about patterns lately. God seems to be speaking to my heart about this idea of conformity and living outside the comfort of my patterns. My shereadstruth devotion yesterday spoke to me even more. Romans 12:2 says “Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will."

When we live with a little spontaneity, a lot of growth is possible. William and I are determined to be bold in breaking out of our comfort zones, letting go of patterns, and watching new worlds emerge. We are excited for what’s in store for our little family.

Is it coincidence that at the same time all of these thoughts are present, it’s time for my yoga teacher training fruit feast? I think not. These next three days are about breaking patterns in my diet, filling it with fresh foods and nutrients, and experiencing the vitality that emerges with a clean start.

Baron Baptiste describes the fruit feast as a time we give our "metabolic organs a chance to rest and renew" and "literally start to glow."

For me and my Augusta studio girls, we are including anything with seeds to be a fruit, that means tomatoes, squash, zucchini and peppers can all be part of the feast.

Yesterday was my first day and although it wasn’t perfect, it was definitely a break-through in patterns.

Breakfast was strawberries and pineapple. While I was pregnant with Wills, I ate my weight in pineapple. I could not get enough. Needless to say, it was awhile before I ate much pineapple again. Yesterday I realized what I’ve been missing. It was so sweet and delicious. 


Lunch was Amy’s chunky tomato soup. I searched and searched the grocery aisles looking for the tomato soup with the least amount of additives and simplest ingredient list I could find. This one was essentially tomatoes and spices. I added ½ of an avocado on top. 


I snacked on an apple on the way to get Wills from Mother’s Day Out.

After a 30 minute yoga practice on the back deck, I ate a banana with almond butter. I know almond butter isn’t part of the fruit feast, but I needed something a little more, and it was a better choice than almond butter on crackers, right? 


I was a little anxious about what I would eat for dinner, but my roasted squash, zucchini, green and red peppers in extra virgin olive oil and topped with the other half of my avocado from lunch was surprisingly satisfying. I also dipped red pepper strips in a little fresh guacamole that William had on his chicken fajitas.

All in all, a good first day.  Kabobs are on the menu for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment