Thursday, October 21, 2010

Warning! Disaster Ahead!

Don't worry, everything was fine with the chili.  And the fire was perfect.  The pumpkins are another story. 

Let's start with the good news.  William got the fire going.  It was so pleasant outside and such a great night to sit outside and enjoy one another's company.

We chopped green pepper, onions, and browned the hamburger meat.

We added dark kidney beans, garlic, diced tomato, and tomato sauce. 

We seasoned with a package of chili seasoning, chili powder, cumin, garlic, and oregano. 

Topped with cheddar cheese and light sour cream, it was delicious!

If it were up to me, I'd end the post here.  If I weren't trying to blog the triumphs of trying new things, as well as the challenges, I'd stop here and not mention another word to another soul.

But, I will proceed.  Try not to fall off of the chair in laughter.  Seriously, it's not funny, yet.

I had all intentions of carving a witch.  Yes, I knew it would be a challenge, but how hard could it be?  Finn and I were excited and ready to go. 

The pumpkins were cleaned, and I got to work.  I knew from the start that I had a problem.

William asked if I would like to use a sharpie?  I agreed.  Then looked over to see him using a watercolor marker.  He sabotaged me!  His lines wiped right off.  Mine?  Well, of course you can see all of the black lines of the terrible drawing that I was unable to even cut close to.

However, I will not blame him.  It was a bad idea.  Too detailed and too much for my first pumpkin carving experience.  I mean, why didn't I choose a ghost?  Or just a witch hat for that matter?  He carved Finn's head.  It wasn't the best; his nose fell off.  But, it was leaps beyond mine. 

I will leave you with the outcome. 

I'm glad that's over with.  Obviously I don't know anything about pumpkin carving. 

The only positive of the pumpkin experience was delicious roasted pumpkin seeds.  I placed them on a baking sheet that I sprayed with cooking spray.  They were topped with sea salt.  I roasted them on 325 degrees for about 25 minutes.  They came out perfectly toasty, warm, with just the right amount of salt, and delicious.

This is how the night ended. 

No comments:

Post a Comment