Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Smoked Gouda, Portobello and Arugula Grilled Cheese

This may be one of the most flavorful sandwiches I've ever tasted.

After putting Wills to bed Monday night, I poured myself a small glass of red wine, turned on "Elizabethtown," and started my dinner.  I'm not fond of William traveling, but I will say, those nights I do get to try new, what he would call "weird food" recipes that suit me.  Here's a few I've loved.

Pea and Prosciutto Pasta

Cheesy Spinach Shells

Pesto Pasta with Arugula and Tomato

Edamame Corn Salad

When he's home, we have more of the typical chicken or pork chop, veggie, and starch dinners we all grew up eating (with a few surprises thrown in along the way.)

I adapted this recipe from the Vegetarian magazine I browsed through at the yoga studio.

Here's what I used.


I brushed one portobello with balsamic vinaigrette and baked it on 350 degrees for 15 minutes.  I flipped it once.

I mixed up a little butter, one minced garlic clove, and dried oregano and brushed it on the outside of two slices of sprouted bread.


In a skillet I layered one slice of bread, smoked Gouda cheese, the sliced portobello from the oven, arugula and the remaining slice of bread.  I pressed it into the skillet and cooked it about four minutes on each side.


Seriously delicious, smoky, peppery, and amazing.  

"I say make time to dance alone, with one hand waving free." ~ Elizabethtown

I think I will. 

No comments:

Post a Comment