Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Almost Homemade Granola Bars

We eat a lot of granola bars around here.

Of course, we don’t all eat the same kind. That would be too easy, right?

Wills loves Kashi Soft and Chewy Bars and Cliff Kid Z Bars. He eats them daily.


William’s go-to breakfast every morning, while trying to feed Finn, wrap up a few last minute emails, see his little boy and his wife, and quickly get out of the door on time for work, is a Sweet and Salty granola bar. He alternates between peanut and almond.


And I eat my fair share of Kind Bars and Larabars. Blueberry Muffin being my favorite.


Wills refers to all of these granola bars with a different name. He calls Larabars and Sweet and Salty Bars “Mommy Bars” and “Daddy Bars”  Original, huh? :)  He did get a little more creative and calls his Cliff Bars “Boy Bars.” This is because there is a little boy riding a skate board on the front of the package. 

Okay, moving on. I decided to make some granola bars. Even if I’m the only one that eats them, and the boys stick to their tried and true “Daddy Bars” and “Boy Bars” our grocery budget could use a few less Larabars.

Here’s what I used. I found the recipe in my Health Magazine in an article featuring Dr. Oz and a 5-Day High Energy Plan.

I mixed 2 cups of oats, 3/4 cup of walnuts, and 3/4 cup of raw sunflower seeds.  I toasted them on 350 degrees for 10 minutes.


Then mixed together 1/2 cup of raw honey, 1/2 tsp of Vanilla, and 2 tsp of olive oil.


All folded together with 3/4 cup of cranberries.

I lined the pan with tinfoil, lightly sprayed it with olive oil cooking spray, patted it down with a spatula, and baked it for 15 minutes on 350 degrees.


Wills and I headed to the canal for a short walk while our granola bars cooled.


Then in an attempt to transfer them to the cutting board and begin slicing into 2 inch squares, this happened.

You can't win them all, I guess.


I'm not really sure what went wrong.  But this is all that even resembled a granola bar.  Maybe a little peanut butter would hold them together?


Granola bars turned into simple granola.  It tasted delicious and will be the perfect topping to Greek yogurt.


And this little boy couldn't keep his hand out of the bag.


I'll call that a success.


But, don't count me out on homemade granola bars just yet.  You will see this attempt again. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment