Friday, September 13, 2013

See you later, Serious

Yesterday, I needed a break.


I finished testing, closed my computer, and took advantage of a refreshing mid-morning jog on the canal.



30 minutes of exercise and it all made sense again.  I needed a little perspective.  

I tend to take things too seriously.  Surprise!  :)  This week has been extra daunting with every task seeming overwhelmingly momentous.  When I find myself getting caught up in an attempt to make it all perfect, I begin to lose most of the joy that's there to experience.


I place high expectations on myself as a wife and a mom, and sometimes I just need to “lighten up.” Wills doesn't always have to be on a strict schedule. If we are at the zoo next weekend for an early birthday celebration, and he’s fascinated with the allure of the giraffes, do we really need to rush out for nap time? No.

Do we always have to hurry in an effort to complete our to-do list?  Hell no.  The truth.  There's going to be another to-do list tomorrow.  Why not let him try for 15 minutes to put on his own shoes, or study every detail of his train set while we need to be cleaning up, or eat his frozen yogurt ever so slowly while the clock is ticking to our next appointment and nap-time is looming.

If Wills doesn't eat a vegetable for two WHOLE days in a row, should we deem it a parenting disaster?  I know. I know.  I'm embarrassed.

If I don’t meet every soft deadline with work, it’s okay. That’s why they’re “soft” deadlines. Sometimes a long conversation encouraging a student or parent is more important than that lingering spreadsheet.

If I’m administering high school graduation tests all week and don’t make it to the studio or practice yoga once, it’s fine. It doesn't mean I’m a bad yogi, or I’ll never fly into crow.

William gets so frustrated with me when I try to make rigid plans around everything from our weekly menu to our vacations.  Can you tell I haven't practiced yoga all week?  My mind is all over the place.

I'm missing moments of beauty; moments of bliss; moments of joy because I'm letting perfection and seriousness lead the way.  My new mantra: relax into the moment; release serious; experience joy.  Right now! I repeated this over and over while jogging.

My husband finally walked in the door after a week working out of town, and I immediately opened my new elephant journal subscription and found this.


Coincidence?  I think not.

It's time to get playful, laugh until our sides hurt, kiss in the pouring rain right after getting dressed up for dinner, sing (terribly) and dance to beach music, bake Christmas cookies in September, go to bed too late, break a few rules, take a last minute road trip without packing every "necessity", and eat ice-cream for dinner.  This serious stuff has got to go!

Cheers to a relaxing, laid-back, and fun weekend!

Someone else is ready for a run.  Hey, go for it sweet boy; it's good for the soul!  Maybe you should put some shorts on first...or not.  That would take all the fun away!  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment