Saturday, January 28, 2012

Sneaking in a Nap

You know how we love Fridays!
I’m living in a catch 22.  I want Fridays to hurry so I can be home with my boys, yet I want the days and weeks to go by slowly, so Wills doesn’t grow up too fast.  It’s a dilemma. 
It was all about family last night.  And oysters!  Yeah, baby!
Unfortunately, William had to miss out on the fun.  He’s with his friend Jay seeing Widespread at the Tabernacle.  He’s holding on to this piece of his youth by a thread, but he’s holding tight.  I told you he loves live music.
I ran to the grocery store after work and picked up a few ingredients to make Blue Cheese Bacon Dip.  I wanted to contribute to the night's festivities, so I searched my cookbooks for the perfect dish to impress.  I found this one courtesy of Southern Living
Groceries in hand, I walked in the door and started cooking  fell asleep.  Oops.  My mom had Wills, and I took advantage of the time by taking a nap.  I had all intentions of carrying a warm, flavorful dip inside of Sissy's house.  Instead, I carried in the bag of groceries.  
I immediately fed my little boy that I hadn't seen all day, and my mom and sister had to put together the dip that I was planning to cook and was excited to share.  Oh well.  The cost of a nap is pretty high these days.
I did get them to take a few pictures while they worked.  Thanks, Mom and Sissy.

They cooked the bacon, drained it, and sauteed the garlic in the skillet.


After the cream cheese (2 packages) was soft, they put it in a bowl, added a 1/3 cup of half and half and stirred it until it was smooth.
Then stirred in the bacon, blue cheese, garlic, and chives.



They put it in a baking dish and baked it on 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
We topped it with toasted walnuts and served it with crackers.  It was rich, savory and went perfectly with my glass of Cabernet. 


After our appetizers, we feasted on steamed and fried oysters.  They were perfect!



My sweet parents brought the oysters home fresh from Land's End. 
 
Surprise!

Finding a crab in your oyster is supposedly good luck if you eat it.  I tried.  Really, I did.  Who wouldn't want a little luck on their side? 

But I couldn't do it.  The slimy oysters (which I happen to love) are enough of a food adventure for me.

This was Tony's plate by the end of the night.  He loves oysters!


Definitely fist pump worthy.


This was the perfect way to celebrate the end of a work week.  I love my family!






No comments:

Post a Comment