Thursday, January 26, 2012

4 Months

I can hardly believe my baby boy is 4 months old. He is growing and changing so much. I love being his mom and feel beyond lucky that God picked me for this job.

I took Wills to his 4 month well visit yesterday. William was working, and thanks to Gammy, I didn’t have to brave the 4 month shots alone. However, Wills was brave enough for all of us. He did so well!





This big boy weighs 15 lbs and 14 ounces. He is in the 75th percentile for his weight. He is 26 ¾ inches long and in the 90th percentile for height. Big surprise, right? His head circumference is 17 ½ inches and is the 75th percentile.
Here are a few more updates I want to remember.  I know these details may not be of interest to many, but this is a good place for me to record Wills' milestones. 

At four months, Wills is rolling over every night. We put him in his sleep sack, place him on his back and he immediately squirms to the side of the crib and ends up on his stomach. It makes me a little nervous, but I check on him frequently, and make sure his head is to the side. The doctor assured me that if he can’t breathe, he is strong enough to lift his head and reposition until he can. He goes to sleep around 8:30 without any crying or fussing. But he still wakes up once or twice a night. It’s hard to tell if he is always hungry at these times. As of now, we aren’t making him cry himself back to sleep. I am going upstairs and feeding him for a few minutes. That may change soon, as we really try to monitor his hunger and nursing during these times.


He is taking four, six ounce bottles a day and one full nursing plus his few minutes of nursing during the night. I am giving him 4-6 ounces of Similac Sensitive formula a day. Because of his weight, the doctor said we can go ahead with rice cereal, once a day, if we would like. She wants us to give him only rice cereal for about a month before introducing any vegetables.

He still loves to stand up, swing, talk, and play on his gym and exersaucer.

He is becoming more and more interested in his books.
His facial expressions are priceless. I wish I could capture all of them on camera.
He grabs on necklaces, hair, shirts, our lips, anything he can get his little fingers around. If he can get it to his mouth, that’s where it goes. He’s starting to notice Finn more and just stares at him. He loves the guitar and all music. We bought a new mobile that plays 20 minutes of classical music, in hopes that it would help with our middle of the night feedings. The first mobile I bought was from Pottery Barn and was more for looks because it plays about 60 seconds of music. Plus you have to wind it up making more noise than necessary for the middle of the night. The new one has a remote control, so we can try not to disturb the little boy and hope he will go back to sleep on his own. We will see.
I’ve said it before, but we are thoroughly enjoying being parents and life is pretty great at our house.  Great?  Yes.  Normal? Not quite. I hate to admit, but if I’m being honest, since Wills was born we’ve only been together at church on Christmas Eve, I haven’t gotten my hair cut, eyebrows waxed, or a pedicure once (the horror!), grocery shopping is an event that requires a scheduled time when Wills is at home with a family member, a full night’s sleep hasn’t happened in seven months or so (I didn’t sleep much in my third trimester and definitely not through the night in the last four months), I haven’t had much more than a single glass of wine at one time, I have strong arms (which I haven’t had since my softball days – this boy is heavy and his car seat in on another level), I haven’t bought a single article of clothing for myself which I’m sure William appreciates but is definitely not normal, and our weekly Mexican visits are pretty non-existent. Life isn’t quite back to normal, and I don’t think it ever will be, but we are continuing to learn to be flexible and, simply put, go places with our baby and all the gear that goes with him. :)  I believe his stint in the hospital scared us, set us back a little, and made us extra careful parents. 
But we do need some more normalcy, not only for us, but so our little boy will learn to adapt and be flexible with new places and experiences.  So, here’s to beginning the journey towards eating more chips and salsa, shopping the grocery aisles, visiting dressing rooms (don’t tell William), and hearing Greg, our pastor, preach, all with Wills in tow.
It could be worse.  At least we realize this at 4 months and not 4 years.  :)
                                              
                                      Wills at 4 days old and 4 months old.

No comments:

Post a Comment