Monday, January 30, 2012

Monsters aren't Scary

It’s not often that I wake up craving something green. Usually, the cravings are more of a golden brownish color – as in a smooth, freshly roasted cup of coffee.  This weekend was different.  I woke up with a big, green, googly eyed monster in mind! 

I needed some fast fruits and veggies in my life. It's been awhile since I made one, but I can’t think of a better way to get a lot in at once other than with a Green Monster.

I did a little research on the history of these nutrient dense, appetite satisfying smoothies, and I believe the original Green Monster and the name came from Angela who blogs at Oh She Glows! Since then there have been hundreds of variations and recipes created.

When I first started making these, I didn’t follow one recipe exactly, I just threw in what I liked, pressed blend, and hoped for the best.

I don’t always make it exactly the same, and honestly, any fruit or veggie you prefer would probably be just fine thrown into the mix. Trust me. These drinks have power and will make you feel oh so good! Tony and Kristen are hooked. My parents are at least thinking green thoughts and about trying a monster. William, on the other hand, is a lost cause I’m afraid. He won’t even kiss me while I’m drinking one. Ha! A little dramatic, don’t you think? :)


Wills watched me while I made this one at Sissy and Tony's house.



Usually, I fill the blender up with two handfuls of spinach, freshly squeezed orange or grapefruit juice (juice in a carton is fine too), a banana, 5 or so frozen strawberries, 1/2 to 3/4 a cup of fat free plain yogurt, and a handful of ice cubes.




I’ve been known to add half of an Amazing Grass Packet every now and then.  Not always.  Only when I'm feeling extra brave around the monsters.  This is legal, Tony.  They sell them at Earth Fare.  Inside.  Not out back, behind the building.  Uncle Tone likes to joke about my Amazing Grass.  We’re friends, so it’s okay.  It’s just to add an extra punch of weird, granola girl, superfoods (think Organic Alfalfa, Spirulini, Barley Grass, Acai, Beets, Raspberries, and Oat Fiber) that Yogi’s, health nuts, or wanna-bes, like me, eat. 

I wouldn't add a chocolate Amazing Grass to a Green Monster.  I would go with berry or regular flavor, but I'm all out.  I save chocolate for a banana, milk and peanut butter smoothie.  I just wanted to post a picture of what the packets look like.


Delicious.  Refreshing.  Energizing.  Clean. 


Not Scary.




No comments:

Post a Comment