Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Quinoa

In preparation for the intensity and long hours of yoga teacher training, I've been trying to eat as clean as possible in an effort to have as much energy as I can. Some days are a success; some days, like Super Bowl Sunday, not so much. Let’s just say I’m glad the mint chocolate chip ice-cream is gone, and I’m not buying any more. :)

Wills and his daddy are excited about clean eating, too. Yeah, right.




Last week, for lunch, I made a big batch of quinoa. I’ve had this box in my pantry aka...sister’s upstairs closet for a while now, and I’ve been excited to try it out. 



I prepared the Quinoa, which was as simple as boiling water. It is very similar to rice, but is FULL of so many essential nutrients, fiber, antioxidants and protein! It is technically a seed, but is used more like a grain. 5,000 years ago, the Incas grew quinoa as one of their main crops. They said it gave “power and stamina to their warriors.” However, the fields were destroyed by the Spanish in an effort to get rid of the Inca culture. The quinoa survived by growing wild in the mountains and was discovered in the 80’s near Boulder, Colorado. It’s a warrior in itself, and I hope it helps me hold my Warrior I and II a little longer.

I sautéed zucchini, orange bell pepper, and spinach in extra virgin olive oil.


I added it to the quinoa and topped it with fresh salsa and plain Greek yogurt as a substitute for sour cream.


It was quick, easy, delicious, filling, and made enough for the rest of the week. It doesn’t get much cleaner than that.

1 comment:

  1. We just tried quinoa for the first time last night. Unfortunately, in our little town all I could find was a brand that has soy added to it. We tried it and loved it but we'll be finding it somewhere else if we continue to eat it. Sounds yummy with the things you added!

    ReplyDelete