Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentine Muffins

Happy Valentine’s Day! My how things have changed.

What seems like a life time ago, my best friends and I used to dress in all black and go out in Athens on this “dreaded” day. Remember that, girls? Now I’m home in heart PJ pants, making home-made Valentines with my little boy, while heart-shaped muffins bake in the oven.

The following conversation happened yesterday, with my sister.

Sissy: “I didn’t get Wills anything for Valentine’s Day, but I am making some Red Velvet Cupcakes to share with y’all.”

Me: “That sounds great. You don’t need to get him anything. You do so much for him already. Oh, and I decided to bake some muffins for Valentine’s Day, too. I will bring some over. I am going to try to make them with whole wheat flour, oatmeal, fresh fruit, and applesauce in place of butter.”

Silence.

Then hysterical laughter from both of us.

Sissy: “Maybe you should just eat the Red Velvet cupcakes.”

Maybe so. But, I made my muffins anyway. And for the record, Wills loves them, and continues to say “More. More.” Thank you, sweet boy, for making your mommy feel good about her baking attempts. Because, to be honest, they won’t be suitable to give to our new neighbors or take this weekend to share with my fellow yoga teacher trainees in Beaufort. Oh well.

Here’s what I used. I combined a recipe from Eatliverun and one from a clean eating website. I just pulled ideas from both and sort of made it up as I went along.


.

I mixed the dry ingredients together separately from the wet ingredients.

I combined the two and added in the fresh strawberries.


Then I had a really bad moment where I thought I should forego any ideas of cooking and just stick to my simple, forever task of "grating the cheese."  I filled the heart shape muffin tins, that I borrowed from my mom, put them in the oven on 375 and started to clean up the dishes.

Then, I smelled something burning. I opened the oven and saw this.


This heart shaped muffin pan was definitely a heart shaped ice tray. Are you serious? Oops.


I cleaned up my disaster, sent my sister a picture text of the mess my “hilarious” muffins were already making, and prayed the oven rack wasn’t ruined.


Needless to say, Wills and I enjoyed a healthy, not quite delicious, Valentine snack. I am sure they will taste just fine crumbled on top of my Greek yogurt tomorrow morning.


Happy Valentine's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment