Monday, February 25, 2013

What's for dinner?

I get this question every night.  And for the most part, I love it.  Planning healthy meals for my boys is one of my many favorite parts of being a wife and a mom.

William gave up red meat for lent, which is perfectly fine with me, since I don’t eat much of it to begin with. However, it does take easy meals like spaghetti, chili and tacos off of our menu for 40 days, unless I can sneak in ground turkey or chicken in its place. 

On the menu tonight is spinach and mushroom lasagna. I thought about adding sausage to half of the lasagna, so my hubby wouldn’t miss the meat, but that would require another trip to the grocery store, which I am trying not to do. Otherwise, I would go all week, picking up a few things here and there, and our grocery bill would quickly add up. Keeping it to once a week forces me to plan ahead and helps us save money. 

This recipe is adapted from my friend Sam. We have been making it and sharing the recipe back and forth for years, until one day, I finally decided to write it down. Now I’m kind of regretting that, and missing that usual phone call. But…we have plenty of Bachelor chatting to do, so I think I will call anyway. :)

Here’s what I used.


I mixed together the cottage cheese, egg, and spinach (thawed and drained.)


Then, it’s all about the layering. 


This lasagna is a simple, healthy week day meal that makes plenty of left overs. And it goes great with a glass of red wine, cozy slippers, and a warm fire.  

Oh, and The Bachelor.  Sorry, Honey...it's Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment