Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Push Prize

A few months ago, William and I had dinner with some good friends of ours, the Sheffields.  Emily was giving William a hard time and asking him if he'd thought about a Push Prize.  To be honest, neither of us knew what she was talking about.  She went on to explain that a Push Prize is the gift a husband gives his wife after she goes through the nine months of pregnancy and labor.  The idea is that it could be something for the mom to give to that child one day.  Anyway, we never spoke again about a Push Prize.  I figured this little guy was prize enough.


 William has told me over and over again, since Wills was born, how proud he is of me.  He has been so sweet throughout the entire process.  Today, he mentioned that he had a surprise for me.  Usually when he says this he comes home with a beautiful bouquet of flowers...which I love.  However, today he walked in empty handed but with a huge smile on his face.  He wrapped me in his arms and told me he had something for me.  Again, he told me how proud he was of me on Sunday and the past 10 days.  He started asking me a series of questions.  He asked, "Do you remember that gift we heard about for having a baby; what do you think would be a good gift for that?"  I didn't answer.  He then asked, "Do you know what Wills' birth stone is?"  I started to get excited.  I knew that September was a sapphire, but I was scared to say anything.  I was still quiet.  He asked, "What color represents little boys?"  I answered this one.  "Blue."  He started reaching into his pocket, and I started crying.  He pulled out a green box, and told me that he wanted me to think of Wills and the day he came into our lives every time I looked at this.  And one day, to maybe give it to him, to give to the woman he loves. 


I opened the box.  Inside was a beautiful sapphire and diamond ring.  It is gorgeous!  I am still in shock and so surprised that he remembered one conversation about a Push Prize.  He never ceases to amaze me.  I'm one lucky girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment