Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Last of Summer

Summer days of watermelon, sidewalk chalk, and margaritas are quickly passing us by.  The changing seasons is one of my favorite blessings in life.  There's something nostalgic about putting away summer dresses for boots and scarves, daydreaming about my days in Athens, and gearing up for holiday season.  

Every year, it never fails, it only takes a bite of pumpkin, a cool morning, or the sound of a crunching leaf to send me into a romantic spiral of love, words, and reminiscing.  

I'm glad Jane Austin feels the same. 

“Her pleasure in the walk must arise from the exercise and the day, from the view of the last smiles of the year upon the tawny leaves and withered hedges, and from repeating to herself some few of the thousand poetical descriptions extant of autumn--that season of peculiar and inexhaustible influence on the mind of taste and tenderness--that season which has drawn from every poet worthy of being read some attempt at description, or some lines of feeling.” Jane Austin, Persuasion

I worked and ate my lunch on the back deck.  


My sister, who is seriously obsessed with Einstein bagel shop, gave me this sun-dried tomato spread.  It is delicious on everything from crackers, bagels, carrot and celery sticks, and today's egg sandwich on an English muffin. 


The first thing out of Wills' mouth when he woke up from his nap was "outside."  He would never come in if I would let him.  So, out we went.  



We spent the late afternoon and early evening practicing on his tricycle, coloring with sidewalk chalk, and blowing bubbles.  




If I leave fruit in the refrigerator like this...this is how it stays.


As soon as I take the time to cut it up, it disappears so fast.


I need to remember this.  When my hungry, sweaty boy comes in from playing outside, I would love for him to always reach for fruit as a refreshing snack.


I attempted to muddle some watermelon and basil for a watermelon basil margarita.


It looked pretty.


But with fall on my mind, I froze this for another day and quickly switched gears.


I'm thankful for days like these. 

No comments:

Post a Comment