Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Stop the Search

I’m re-reading one of my favorite books of all time. When I read this the first time, it spoke so deeply to my soul, resonating with my dream of travel, my love of good food, my curiosity in all things yoga, and a constant search to figure out who I was in this world. I ended up giving it out as Christmas gifts that year, hoping it would touch someone else the way it did me.


Reading it again, years later, it’s still speaks to me…in a much different way. I shared this excerpt with my yoga class this morning:

"I have searched frantically for contentment for so many years in so many ways, and all these acquisitions and accomplishments – they run you down in the end. Life, if you keep chasing it so hard, will drive you to death. Time – when pursued like a bandit – will behave like one; always remaining one county or one room ahead of you…at some point you have to stop because it won’t. You have to admit that you can’t catch it. That your not supposed to catch it. At some point…you gotta let go and sit still and allow contentment to come to you. Sit quietly for now and cease your relentless participation. Watch what happens. The birds do not crash dead out of the sky in mid-flight, after all. The trees did not wither and die, the rivers do not run red with blood. Life continues to go on. Even the Italian post office will keep limping along, doing it’s own thing without you – why are you so sure that your micromanage of every moment it this whole world is so essential? Why don’t you let it be?"

Sometimes I find myself searching, micromanaging, refusing to sit still, and all for what?  The contentment and happiness I could ever dream of, is right in front of me. I pray, every single day, that I won’t be too busy or too preoccupied to notice.

It's found in date nights with my husband. 


Oyster roasts with my family and friends.


The innocence and hilarity of my two-year old sweetheart.


Baking bread to share with new neighbors or friends who are always there. :)


Trying new recipes to feed my family as healthy as possible.



Nourishing my body.


The overwhelming beauty in these mossy trees.

And road trips.  To celebrate a 30th birthday with the very best of friends.  Charlottesville...here I come!  


Choose to be happy; choose to be love.  Create it in your home, in your work, in your self.  You may find you have so many beautiful reasons to stop searching for a grandiose moment of contentment.  It's in the little things.  And they are all right in front of you.  Waiting...to be noticed.  Dust that book off your night stand, kiss your husband, map out a road trip, stand in awe of God's creation, dance with your little one, call a girlfriend, indulge in a few veggies, and create happy.  Today is all we are promised.  Why wait?  

XOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment