Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Charlottesville

My trip to Charlottesville was such a whirlwind yet so incredibly worth every second of the travel to spend time with Christy.

You know you're heading out on a road trip when your boy scout for a dad stops by and puts jumper cables, a sleeping bag, water, and snacks in your 4-runner and sneaks a surprise in your pocket telling you to "buy yourself an ice-cream."  My sweet dad; there's no one like him.  I will be 50 and gray and he will still be looking out for his little girl.

I worked late into the evening the night before, made William and Wills a chicken-pot-pie for the weekend, and downloaded a few extra songs for the trip. "I mean everybody has to take a road trip, at least once in their lives. Just you and some music." ~Elizabethtown

Seven hours later...Charlottesville.

Christy and I took an amazing hot yoga class at a little loft studio called Opal Yoga. It was the most beautiful space I've ever seen.  In my dreams, this is what a yoga studio looks like...beautiful exposed brick, huge hanging fans, a soft green bead board ceiling, old wooden floors.  It was perfect.  I could have stayed there all day.


But...there were things to do and people to see.  I am a long-time reader of the healthy living blog KERF (Kath Eats Real Food.)  It's probably the first blog I ever started reading.  Kath, her husband Matt, and their son live in Charlottesville and own the Great Harvest Bakery.  Kath is a registered dietitian, a young mom, and a great writer.  I had to meet her.

Unfortunately, when we stopped by after yoga she wasn't there.  Since I was all the way from Georgia, Matt stepped in for a picture.  It was definitely one of my dorkier moments, but hey, I get excited about the little things.


Of course I left with an infamous Savannah Bar and the most amazing cup of coffee.


I took advantage of lots of sweet snuggles from Brady.


We had two relaxing nights cooking dinner, chatting over wine, and hanging out with Ken in Charlottesville and spent one night in DC for Christy's 30th birthday dinner at Carlyle.  10 of her girlfriends joined us!

I had the most amazing grilled salmon, dried dates, toasted pecans, and warm goat cheese salad, that I will definitely attempt to create at home!


Jordan graciously hosted us for birthday cake and cupcakes after dinner!


My last day.  We had to take a picture with our matching scarves.

I'm so thankful for this friendship and already looking forward to my next visit.


Wills and his bulldog from Christy, which he loves!


After a great weekend away, I was beyond excited to see these two!


I think they were pretty pumped to have me home, too.  Can you tell Wills spent the weekend with his dad...nice outfit. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment