Thursday, December 13, 2012

"Baby, it's cold outside"

Rainy, foggy, frigid days used to mean class was “canceled.” In Athens, if it rained, Caroline and I decided that we were sure our professors had canceled class for the day. So, we stayed home. Besides who stands on Milledge Avenue, waiting for the UGA bus, in the freezing rain? Not us.

On those rainy days we were quite busy. We watched movies, picked up take-out while disguising our shower-less faces in big sunglasses, turned the heat to temperature cozy, stayed in our pajamas, and chatted about cute boys. Wine may or may not have been involved.

Today, when I woke up, walked outside, and realized the dreary, cold conditions, I reminisced about my Athens days. If only I could “cancel” class, snuggle up to my little peanut, put on Cupcake Wars re-runs, and call Caroline, all in my pajamas. I’m sure my sixth graders didn’t want to catch their buses in the rain, either.

Needless to say, I forged onward, brewed a strong pot of coffee and headed out in the wet weather.

Something about the cold, snowy weather makes me feel like I’m supposed to bake (Let me say, I rarely follow through with this feeling). I don’t know what it is. I imagine the snow piling up around the doors, a fire crackling, warm socks on our feet, being stuck inside, with a delectable, home-made smell coming from the oven. I think it makes a house a home and reminds me of being young, minus the snow piling up.

This afternoon I went against my tired eyes and the dread of having to wash the mixer when it was all over, and went for it. Besides, I had my annual Christmas party to attend and I’m sure my girlfriends could use a little sweet in their lives, and green bean casserole (which I’m signed up to bring) is just not that exciting.

Bring on the Peppermint Mocha Cookies that scream, “Santa is coming, Santa is coming! Hooray!”

I adapted this recipe from Jenna at Eatliverun.

Here’s what I used.


I creamed together the butter, eggs, sugar and peppermint extract.

Then added the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and a dash of salt to the wet ingredients.


That's when things got a little messy.  This cookie batter is super fudgy and sticky!

But, don't quit yet, the outcome is worth every muscle you work to mix this baby and fold in the dark chocolate chips.


I baked them on 350 degrees for about 14 minutes.


The outcome, on this dreary day, was delicious.  I will post a few pictures tomorrow of the final platter...complete with a white chocolate drizzle.

You should make these. They are super easy, and would be perfect in a little cellophane bag, tied with red and green raffia ribbon and an ornament for an easy, heart-felt, tasty gift. Take one to your neighbor, your child’s teacher, or your boss. Share. Give. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment