Sunday, November 11, 2012

Beaufort

Wills and I decided to head to Beaufort, last minute, to spend the weekend with my parents.  William was going to be working on our house, and we didn't want to get in the way, so we headed to the Lowcountry.


It was a quick, wonderful few days away, full of a weekend long toasty fire, too much red wine, an adventure to the Heritage Festival, crab bisque, an afternoon nap, a great idea of a morning jog and yoga practice that never happened, and a delicious dinner of fresh red fish (swimming yesterday), butternut squash stuffed ravioli with Italian brown butter sage sauce, and a warm goat cheese salad.  I wish I could take credit, but that belongs to my dad, the fisherman, Sissy, the inspiration behind the meal, and my mom, the sous chef, table setter and cheerleader.  I'm not sure what I did.  I guess I recorded the evening with pictures, sliced the lemons, and watched the Dawgs.  Oops.  Not much help.



I can't believe I didn't get a picture of the fish.  It was simple and delicious, lightly breaded and sauteed in olive oil and lemon juice, I believe.

Sissy, my dad's cousin, often visits my parents in Beaufort; she is a 55 year veteran teacher at EDS, was my dad's Kindergarten teacher, and is a very creative and great cook.


As I was slicing lemons for my one part of the meal, I was inquiring about the desired width of each wedge of lemon and commented to my dad, "although this cooking thing is a hobby, I'm not quite good at it, right, dad?"
"Right."
Seriously?  It was a rhetorical question; hopefully, he just wasn't paying attention. :)

The night was complete with a few hands of gin rummy, discussing our latest reads, writing our Christmas lists, and flipping through beautiful cookbooks trying to decide what to bring to Thanksgiving at the farm.

Cheers to a perfect evening in a perfect place.  I can't wait to be back next weekend with William.



No comments:

Post a Comment