Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Needing some tweaking

This Mom’s food intake needs a bit of a face lift.  Not a complete makeover, but a few tweaks.  Living with my sister has brought on late night brownies, Saturday morning homemade bacon, egg and cheese biscuits, and a little ice-cream…okay, a lot of ice-cream.  It has been fun, with a slight resemblance to when we lived together in Athens, but we need to clean up our diet a little in the next few weeks.  Otherwise my skinny jeans that I bought in a weak moment while day-dreaming about fall, boots, scarves, and pumpkin spiced lattes, won’t fit when the cooler weather arrives. 

With a very busy little man in my life, packing up our old house, the last vacations of summer, a new school year, and moving into a new living environment, things have been a little hectic.  Feeding Wills three, healthy meals a day has been my focus and priority in the food department.  With all of that said, I’ve had little time to think about what I’m going to eat and much less time or the desire to always choose the healthiest option. 

Over the past month, I’ve traded in my egg sandwiches on whole wheat English muffins or oatmeal for sugary cereal, outlawed my afternoon snack of Greek yogurt and fruit, and my kashi crackers in hummus have strangely resembled Doritos.  Dinner, especially while moving, was quite a few frozen pizzas.  My night cap dessert has changed from a glass of milk with a small squeeze of chocolate to a bite or three of cookie dough or ice-cream.  Have no fear, there have still been plenty of whole grains, lots of fruit, a green monster or two, plus a couple of veggies (salsa counts, right?)  



But the overall image of my daily food intake has been a little off.  Not horrible - just not normal, for me.  I’m ready for some changes.  I’m getting the hang of being a part-time stay at home mom and teacher, the daily preparations and challenges, and I’m ready to get back in a healthy routine...including the new yoga studio that is less than 2 miles away!  I am pumped! 

I was in charge of dinner tonight.  I made a super simple chicken enchilada recipe with small corn tortillas, chicken, light sour cream, light cream cheese, enchilada sauce, green chilies, and a little bit of sharp cheddar cheese.  I would have added black beans to up the nutritional value, but the boys weren't too excited about that idea.  Oh well.  It was a hit, and no one even mentioned the high fiber, yellow corn tortillas (instead of flour) or the lightened up chicken mixture.  


These aren't the prettiest (in fact, they look awful) nor the epitome of health food, but they tasted delicious, were light and filling, and made my family happy. 




No comments:

Post a Comment